Sunday, July 16, 2006

Basic Errors That Are Losing You Sales

Sometimes you just have to laugh! Here's one of the best
marketing blunders I have seen for a long time.

Online Ad text : "LOOKING FOR JESUS ? - CLICK HERE!"

Well, I was not actually looking for Jesus, but I clicked
through anyway. Let's face it, selling jesus in the year 2006 is
not all that easy, so I was interested in their sales approach.

With great anticipation I hit the CLICK HERE link and the
browser opened a new window. This is what I got :

URL NOT FOUND 404 error.

Call me a skeptic if you will, and perhaps I have a trace of
warped humour, but the idea of millions of desperately seeking
Jesus people being told he could not be found tickled me hugely!

Here's another marketing link that made me laugh.

"BUILD A DOWNLINE AT BLINDING SPEED" Well, a click through at T3
speed took 50 seconds to open their main page which was
cluttered with banners from external sites that took an age to
load.

Not exactly blinding speed , and certainly did nothing to
enforce their claims.I doubt they ever built their own downline
- all their potential customers probably died of boredom.

The internet is cluttered with network marketing adverts, and I
doubt many of them were intended to be funny. Marketing is a
serious business after all...and funny should only be funny if
it gets the prospect to sign up.

One of the worst blunders a network marketer can do is fail to
check their links actually work, and the product or program they
are marketing actually delivers.

Here's an example of a traffic exchange downline builder that I
doubt will ever deliver sign-ups :

"IF YOU HAVE THE COURAGE TO KEEP CLICKING YOU CAN WIN AMAZING
REWARDS AND THOUSANDS OF VISITORS TO YOUR SITE".

Yet another giggle escapes me...I click...I wait...I see the
following message "THIS FEATURE HAS BEEN DISABLED - SORRY".

Well, excuse me! "SORRY!" Sorry for who? Sorry for thousands of
keen marketers who zipped off to join the opposition?
Sorry....sorry for you Mr Website owner. If you cannot be
bothered to update your website links, only you are the loser.

Updating and maintaining your website is vital. In fact, not
doing so really does boggle my mind. You surf for hours on end
to market your web site. Like millions of other people, you
probably paid cash at some stage to advertise, or host your
account. Hours and cash ... it all adds up as expenditure versus
income.

Nobody is going to get an income from this familiar message on
traffic exchange page hits :

SITE ID Incorrect(This result on an ad suggesting the Sky is The
Limit!)

OR, even better, this beauty that I stumbled over on TS25
recently :

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY TERMINATED DUE TO NON-PAYMENT
OF ACCOUNT.

Heh heh hee...hee hee hee - This person was advertising a site
that promised to earn you in excess of $5000.00 in less than
four months! It obviously did not work all that well. The poor
fellow could not even afford to pay his account on time!

You may giggle at these examples, but you will laugh out loud at
this final tragic marketing error.....

A website is selling instant business web page templates....you
are all familiar with them. Called turnkey sites, the customer
opens the page, sees instant business websites for sale that
they can purchase, get hosted, advertise and make a zillion
dollars. Hey presto - instant business..no html knowlege
requried.

Here's the stunner - THIS SCRIPT DEVELOPER AND WEBSITE TEMPLATE
DESIGNER has.....wait for it..................

Script errors all over their main sales page...script bulging
out of frames, html visible where text should be, overlapping
text..illegible content.

This is so sad, it is almost not funny....but you gotta laugh
anyway!

I'm not going to lecture any of you. I'm really not going to
explain the obvious..you read this and if ,like me, you have a
streak of wierd humour, I am sure you got the message.

Please, check your links, use a spell check, keep your accounts
current. Don't throw your earnings away on the basics.

No comments: